Gary E. Davidson
100 S.E. Second Street, Suite 3400
Miami, Florida 33131
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., with distinction, International & Comparative Law.
- University of Southern California, J. D.
- University of Southern California Annenberg School of Communications, M.A.
- Duke University, A.B., magna cum laude, public policy studies.
- Florida Bar
- Arizona Bar
- Washington D.C. Bar
- U.S. Court District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- First, Ninth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals
Professional & Community Leadership
- Executive Council, International Law Section of the Florida Bar (2006 - present);
- Steering Committee and Member, International Referral (2013)
- Chair, Second Annual Florida Bar International Litigation Seminar (2004);
- Chair, First Annual Florida Bar International Commercial Arbitration Moot Competition (2005).
- "Top Lawyers 2013" International Litigation, South Florida Legal Guide
- "Florida Super Lawyers" (International Law), Thomson Reuters' Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2012 - 2013
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2013
- Winner, 2011 "Most Effective Lawyer" (International Law), Daily Business Review.
Gary E. Davidson
High-stakes international litigator and arbitrator with noted successes in state and federal courts and before AAA and other arbitral tribunals.
Frequent speaker and author on international law. Currently sits on the Executive Council of the Florida Bar’s International Law Section.
Selected to the steering committee for the"International Disputes" group of International Referral, playing an influential role in its development.
Former adjunct professor of law, Nova Southeastern University School of Law; Visiting Lecturer in International and Comparative Law, University of Tartu, Estonia, and Comenius University, Slovakia.
Former liaison to Slovakia for American Bar Association Central and Eastern European Law Initiative, providing advice and assistance to various Slovak governmental and judicial organs at independence.
· Lead counsel in 2009 AAA commercial arbitration on behalf of aircraft charter company where we obtained a $3.8 Million award against a South American airline as a result of its breach of an aircraft charter agreement.
· Lead counsel in 2008 arbitration victory for Honduran national soccer team (Fenafuth), preserving its rights to sign enhanced multimillion dollar contract for World Cup international media broadcasts.
· Served as arbitrator in major international maritime charter contract dispute, following appointment by American Arbitration Association (“AAA”).
· Lead counsel in AAA arbitration for beneficiary under Peruvian life insurance contract where our client was not only awarded the policy benefits, but interest and attorneys fees as well.
· Lead counsel in six week AAA arbitration on behalf of hotel chain in multimillion dollar dispute with major international construction company over failed hotel renovation.
· Lead arbitration counsel on behalf of customs broker in dispute with major Japanese exporter over alleged improper classification of goods imported into the United States.
· Won major fraudulent transfer judgment on behalf of leading Colombian company following 10 day trial.
· Represented cruise line in defense of Florida wrongful death case, coordinating foreign counsel's efforts in achieving highly favorable settlement with surviving spouse in Costa Rica.
· Investigated events surrounding major cargo damage claim in Panama on behalf of U.K. insurer; claim determined to be fraudulent and avoided.
· Represented preeminent European travel consortium in renegotiation of multimillion dollar contract with major U.S. rental car company that filed for bankruptcy.
· "U.S. Use of Economic Sanctions, Treaty Bending and Treaty Breaking in International Aviation." Journal of Air Law and Commerce, 1994.
· "Congressional Extraterritorial Investigative Powers: Real or Illusory?" Emory International Law Review, 1994.
· Co-author "Don't Fall Asleep at the Helm: Cruise Line Passenger Ticket Contracts and the Pitfalls of Personal Injury Litigation in U.S. Courts." International Travel Law Journal, May 1999.
· "When is a Port Charge not a Port Charge? Evolving Standards of Liability for Deceptive Trade Practices and Implications for Travel Marketers." Commercial Law and Practice Course Handbook Series, Number A-790, Practicing Law Institute, 1999.
· "Elian's Case: Echoes of a Seaman's Struggle." Journal of Commerce, Friday, January 28, 2000.
· "Should Coupons be Clipped? The Problems Inherent to the Settlement of Class Actions with Non-Cash Tender." International Travel Law Journal, January 2001.
· "CASE NOTE, Osorio v. Dole Food Co., 665 F. Supp. 2d 1307 (S.D. Fla. 2009), " FIU Law Review, 2010.
· "Co-Author: "International Arbitration - Sports: Outside Counsel Perspective." International Commercial Arbitration Practice: 21st Century Perspectives (Naon and Mason eds., 2010).
Lectures & Speaking Engagements
· "Aspects of International Litigation." Instructor, Annual Review Course for International Law Certification, The Florida Bar, February, 2000.
· "Designing Forum Selection Clauses that will be Enforced Under U.S. Law." Guest speaker, Committee Y, International Bar Association Annual Convention, 2001, Cancun, Mexico.
· "So you don't want to litigate in Hoboken? The Perils and. Pitfalls of choice of Forum Clauses in Transnational Contracts." Guest speaker, Conference on International Travel and Tourism, Newcastle, England, May 2002.
· "Litigating Forum Non – Conveniens Motions in Florida's Courts." Panelist, Florida and New York Bar Association's Continuing Legal Education program entitled "International Litigation Update,” Miami, April 2003.
· Chair, 1st Annual Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Orlando, Florida, February, 2004.
· "Use of Indemnity and Liability Shifting Clauses in International Travel Contracts.” Guest speaker, Conference on International Travel and Tourism, Newcastle, England, May 2004.
· Panel Chair, "Hot Topics in International Litigation and Arbitration" Third and Fourth Annual Florida Bar International Litigation and Arbitration Seminars, Miami, May 2005 and 2006.
· Speaker, "Applying the ADA to Foreign Cruise Vessels: Whither International Law?" 2006 Conference on International Travel and Tourism, Newcastle, England, May 2006.
· Presenter of Mock Arbitration at the Lexis Nexis Third Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance Resolution, Beijing, China, October, 2008.
· Guest Speaker, “Oh the Mistakes We Make: The Decisions Made by Travel Industry Employees and the Costly Cases That Follow,” 8th Annual International Conference on Travel and Tourism Law, Newcastle, England, September, 2008.
· Panelist, "Developing a Corporate Dispute Resolution Policy", 7th Annual ICDR Miami International Arbitration Conference, Miami, FL, March, 2009.
- Gary E. Davidson To Lead "International Disputes" Group for International Referral Network
- Florida Supreme Court Rules International Sex Case Will be Tried in the United States
- JUDGE UPHOLDS U.S. AUTOMOBILE DEALERS IN FRAUD AND CONSPIRACY LAWSUIT AGAINST INDIAN TRUCK MANUFACTURER MAHINDRA
- Gary E. Davidson Named To Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- U.S. AUTOMOBILE DEALERS SUE INDIAN TRUCK MANUFACTURER FOR FRAUD AND CONSPIRACY
- US Court of Appeals Rejects Venezuelan Bankers Rico Claim
- U.S. Court of Appeals Affirms Dismissal of Lower Court Case Against Venezuelan Government Officials and Businessmen Accused of Violating U.S. RICO Statues
- DIAZ REUS SELECTED MOST EFFECTIVE LAWYERS, INTERNATIONAL LAW CATEGORY BY THE DAILY BUSINESS REVIEW
- Cisneros family member Milagros Cisneros Fajardo agrees to pay $9.25 million to end suit
- "Attorneys get arbitration enforced in Latin American airplane deal"
- "Florida court upholds aircraft leasing award"
- Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP Sponsors: "Transacting Business in Brazil and the US". Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida Breakfast, Hyatt Regency Downtown Miami, Tuttle Room.
- “Be Aware of the Dragon” by the China Center at Rollins College and World Trade Center Orlando. Guest Speakers: Robert Q. Lee and Gary Davidson. April 22, 2010 10:00 am - 12:00 pm Galloway Room, Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida
- 8th International Litigation and Arbitration Conference; Panelist: Gary E. Davidson, Partner, Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP, Hot Topics In International Litigation. February 12, 2010, The Conrad Hotel, Miami, FL.
- Diaz Reus & Targ, LLP, Partners, Gary E. Davidson and Carlos F. Gonzalez to speak at the 7th Annual International Litigation & Arbitration Conference on March 14th, 2009, Coral Gables, FL
- Diaz Reus & Targ, LLP, Partner, Gary Davidson, Panelist at the ICDR's 7th Annual Miami International Arbitration Conference, "Developing a Corporate Dispute Resolution Policy", Miami, FL
- Michael Diaz, Jr., Carlos F. Gonzalez and Gary E. Davidson of Diaz Reus presented Mock Arbitration as Lead Sponsors at the "Lexis Nexis Third Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution", Beijing, China - October 13 & 14, 2008
- Diaz Reus' attorney Gary Davidson presented "A Review of American Travel Litigation Conference" (Organized by Northumbria University)
- Diaz Reus Sponsor Fall Meeting - ABA Section of International Law