Carlos F. Gonzalez
100 S.E. Second Street, Suite 3400
Miami, Florida 33131
- Appeals and Trial Support
- Complex Commercial Disputes
- Financial Services, OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets and Control)
- Fraud and Asset Recovery | International and U.S. Law
- Litigation and Arbitration | International and U.S. Law
- White-Collar Criminal Defense | International and U.S. Law
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D.
- Emory University, B.A., Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies.
- Middlebury College, Certificate in Arabic Language Studies.
- England & Wales
- Dubai International Financial Centre Courts
Professional & Community Leadership
- American Bar Association.
- Dade County Bar Association.
- Cuban American Bar Association.
- Vice-chair, Dade County Bar Association International Law Committee.
- British American Business Council, Miami Chapter
- Treasurer, South Florida Chapter of the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS).
- Regularly judges at moot court competitions for first-year law students at the University of Miami, and has assisted several of the law school’s moot court teams prepare for national competitions.
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2013
- Florida "Super Lawyers" list, 2012 - 2013, Thomson Reuters' Super Lawyers Magazine
- "Most Effective Lawyers," International Law Category, 2011 by the South Florida, Daily Business Review for successful efforts as legal counsel for Venezuela's Banco Latino.
- "Rising Stars," Florida Super Lawyers Magazine 2009, 2011, 2012.
Carlos F. Gonzalez
Concentrates on appellate litigation, with an emphasis on international civil and commercial disputes and white collar criminal defense. Regularly appears before state and federal courts of appeal on behalf of individual and corporate clients from Central America, South America, the Caribbean and the U.S.
Fluent in Spanish, Arabic, and English, aiding in transnational client communication.
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS).
Experience arguing cases before state and federal appellate courts, researching and drafting motions at all litigation stages, and serving as issue-preservation counsel at trial and arbitration hearings.
Prior to joining Diaz Reus, served as Assistant Public Defender, appellate division, Miami-Dade County Public Defender’s Office, litigating dozens of appeals of complex felony offenses; and litigation associate in Miami offices of major New York, and Chicago firms, White & Case, LLP, and Arnstein & Lehr, LLP respectively.
Recent Published Opinions:
- Canon Latin America, Inc. v. Lantech. Obtained anti-suit injunction for DRRT client Canon Latin America, Inc., prohibiting Costa Rican distributor from prosecuting $6.3 million claim for allegedly violating Costa Rica’s Representatives of Foreign Companies Act. A case of first impression and legal significance regarding foreign anti-suit injunctions.
- José Guevara v. Republic of Peru. In a precedent decision, successfully pierced the Republic of Peru’s attempt to insulate itself, using the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA), as a defense to avoid payment of a $5 million bounty for the capture of international fugitive and spymaster Vladimir Montesino.
- Gary Lamar Polite v. State of Florida. Challenged in Florida Supreme Court scope of criminal statute making it a felony to resist a law enforcement officer with violence, even where no evidence existed that accused knew of officer’s official status. Click here for media coverage on the case. Read the Supreme Court Opinion.
Representative cases and experience:
- Successfully appealed trial court order dismissing, pursuant to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, complaint against foreign government and two of its ministers for failing to pay a $5 million reward offered for information leading to capture and arrest of international fugitive.
- Represented Venezuelan financial institution in successful appeal of trial court order denying additional time extension to serve U.S. and foreign-based defendants with summons and complaint in an action to collect on defaulted loan.
- Defended major U.S. corporation against foreign distributor’s appeal of an order granting an anti-suit injunction.
- Represented Miami-based auto parts wholesaler convicted of conspiring to launder proceeds of criminal acts occurring in United States and Suriname.
- Defended an orchid importer convicted of violating Convention On International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna before U.S. Court of Appeals in novel challenge to application of U.S. sentencing guidelines.
- Reversed default judgment on behalf of foreign client not properly served with summons and complaint in real-estate dispute.
- Successfully appealed, in conjunction with Nova University’s Innocence Project, order denying motion for post-conviction DNA testing of evidence recovered from decades-old crime scene.
- Recovered on appeal multi-million dollar property on behalf of client whose former wife violated terms of the parties’ marital settlement agreement.
- Obtained confession of error from Florida prosecutors after arguing on appeal that trial court erred in denying motion for post-conviction relief where the trial lawyer failed to disclose his client’s legal use of prescription medication prior to pleading guilty.
- Long-term interest in juvenile justice issues, representing children challenging the violation of their due process rights. Successfully petitioned Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal three times for habeas corpus relief on behalf of illegally detained children. The decisions are reported at S.C. v. State, 860 So. 2d 1018 ( Fla. 3d DCA 2003), D.B. v. State, 848 So. 2d 1219 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003), and A.M.V. v. State, 840 So. 2d 1071 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003).
- Designated a "Most Effective Lawyers," International Law Category, 2011 by the South Florida, Daily Business Review for successful efforts as legal counsel for Venezuela's Banco Latino.
- New Bolivian Charges Against Former Aerosur Head Mirror Those in Extortion Case
- Miami Arrest of Bolivian Anti-Corruption Head Vindicates Former Aerosur Owner, Says Attorney Michael Diaz Jr.
- Florida Supreme Court Rules International Sex Case Will be Tried in the United States
- CNN Dinero: El Caso Liberty Reserve, Una Radiografía Del Banco Criminal
- PEMEX Files Suit to Recover $160 Million in Bribery Case
- JUDGE UPHOLDS U.S. AUTOMOBILE DEALERS IN FRAUD AND CONSPIRACY LAWSUIT AGAINST INDIAN TRUCK MANUFACTURER MAHINDRA
- Forbes India: Why Mahindra’s Pick Up Truck Foray in the US Failed
- U.S. AUTOMOBILE DEALERS SUE INDIAN TRUCK MANUFACTURER FOR FRAUD AND CONSPIRACY
- Tackling Internal Fraud: Weeding Out The Enemy Within
- U.S. Court of Appeals Affirms Dismissal of Lower Court Case Against Venezuelan Government Officials and Businessmen Accused of Violating U.S. RICO Statues
- DIAZ REUS SELECTED MOST EFFECTIVE LAWYERS, INTERNATIONAL LAW CATEGORY BY THE DAILY BUSINESS REVIEW
- Top 3 International Issues Impacting Corporate Boards
- Making Banks Pay for Madoff’s Fraud
- BONDHOLDERS WILL CONTINUE TO PURSUE ARGENTINA’S BANCO DE LA NACIóN
- Cisneros family member Milagros Cisneros Fajardo agrees to pay $9.25 million to end suit
- The Black Gold Rush
- Asset Hunting and Anti-Money Laundering: Justice on the Trail of Tears
- Fraud Victims 'Breaking The Bank'
- Whistle-Blowers, Dodd-Frank and the FCPA: The Perfect 'Anti-Competative' Storm for U.S. Businesses
- Dodd‐Frank and the FCPA: The Truth and Consequences
- New York high court exonerates advisers for aiding and abetting corporate fraud
- New Sentencing Guidelines Amendments Amplify the Importance of an Effective Compliance Program
- Supreme Court Insider Commentary: Let's change the way justices are appointed
- ProMexico Names Diaz Reus as Legal Representative at the World Expo in Shanghai
- ProMexico Names Diaz Reus as Legal Representative at the World Expo in Shanghai, China
- U.S. JUDGE GRANTS RESTRAINING ORDER ON ARGENTINE GOVERNMENT ASSETS IN $2.43 BILLION CLASS-ACTION BONDHOLDERS CASE
- Diaz Reus & Targ, LLP Returns as the Platinum Sponsor of the 10th Annual Florida International Bankers Association Anti Money Laundering Compliance Conference: Summary of Remarks
- Diaz Reus' Partner, Carlos F. Gonzalez, Finalist for Key Partners Awards 2009 for International Law Category by South Florida Business Journal
- Carlos Gonzalez and Arti Sangar present a guide to finding the right lawyer.
- Jueza de los EE niega la ultima defensa del gobierno peruano en el caso de la recompensa de $5 millones
- International anti-suit injunctions, by Michael Diaz, Jr. and Carlos F. Gonzalez
- "Como Hacer Negocios sin Sorpresas", Carlos F. Gonzalez, Partner, Diaz Reus
- Costa Rican case stopped in Canon dispute
- Florida Court halts case in Costa Rica
- Carlos F. Gonzalez has been named to the board of directors of the South Florida Chapter of the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS) for a second consecutive year.
- 12TH ANNUAL FIBA ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING COMPLIANCE CONFERENCE
- Diaz Reus Diamond Sponsors at the Inaugural ACAMS Anti-Money Laundering & Counter-Terrorism Financing Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa, Nov. 2-4, 2011.
- Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP, Sponsor FIBA's First Annual International Banking Forum on Cross Border Issues, Madrid, Spain, May 23, 2011
- Platinum Sponsors, Diaz, Reus & Targ, Present the ACCA's 2010 South Florida In-House Counsel CLE Conference; Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, September 23, 2010
- Partner Carlos Gonzalez, Panelist at the GMCC Global Business Briefing: "Private Equity in Latin American; New Dawn New Opportunities". April 20, 2010, GMCC, Ray Goode-Ryder Conference Center, Miami, Florida.
- Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP Platinum Sponsors, Marcus Evans Conference; Prevencion y Mitigacion del Fraude en la Empresa. Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel & Towers, Cuidad de Mexico, 4-5 Marzo, 2010
- Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP, Platinum Sponsors at the 10th Annual FIBA Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Conference, February 18 & 19, 2010, Intercontinental Hotel, Miami, FL.
- Managing Partner Michael Diaz, Jr. and Partner Carlos F. Gonzalez, will speak on Financial Fraud, AML, and Terrorist Financing. Partner Robert I. Targ, Moderator,“Law Enforcement and AML.” 10th Annual FIBA Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Conference.
- BABC Panel Discussion & Cocktail Reception; Carlos F. Gonzalez, Partner, Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP, Moderator, Panel Discussion: AML Compliance in Latin America: Overcoming Challenges & Recognizing Successes. Chophouse Miami, February 17, 2010. &
- Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP Co-Host the 2009 In-House Congress, Shanghai, China, Speaker: Partner Carlos Gonzalez "How to Manage International Disputes as an In-House Counsel”; November 10th, 2009, Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel.
- ABA 2009 Fall Meeting, Diaz Reus' Partner, Carlos Gonzalez, Panel Speaker "Nuts & Bolts of Islamic Finance" October 29, 2009, Miami Beach, FL
- Diaz, Reus & Targ, LLP Sponsors LexisNexis The 4th Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution, September 24 & 25, 2009 in Shanghai, China
- Diaz Reus & Targ, LLP Sponsors at the Security Tech Breakfast hosted by the British Consulate in New York City, May 21, 2009. Among the Panelist are partners Carlos Gonzalez & Brant Hadaway.
- Diaz Reus & Targ, LLP, Partners, Gary E. Davidson and Carlos F. Gonzalez to speak at the 7th Annual International Litigation & Arbitration Conference on March 14th, 2009, Coral Gables, FL
- Michael Diaz, Jr., Carlos F. Gonzalez and Gary E. Davidson of Diaz Reus presented Mock Arbitration as Lead Sponsors at the "Lexis Nexis Third Annual Conference on Dispute Avoidance and Resolution", Beijing, China - October 13 & 14, 2008
- Michael Diaz, Jr. and Carlos F. Gonzalez speakers at the Middle East Conference in Singapore on "How to do Business in the UAE."
- Diaz Reus Partners, Robert I. Targ and Carlos F. Gonzalez speak on the latest trends in money laundering at the IV Congress en Prevencion de Lavados y Delitos on November 19-21, 2008 in San Jose, Costa Rica.